Alexa is the groundbreaking cloud-based intelligent agent that powers Echo and other devices designed around your voice. Our mission is to push the envelope in Artificial Intelligence (AI), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), Machine Learning (ML), Dialog Management, Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), and Audio Signal Processing, in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers. We’re looking for a Senior Research Engineer to help build industry-leading conversational technologies that customers love.
As a Senior Research Engineer with the Alexa team, you will be responsible for translating business and functional requirements into concrete deliverables with the design, development, testing, and deployment of highly scalable distributed services. You will also partner with scientists and platform engineers to help invent, implement, and connect sophisticated algorithms to our cloud based engines. A successful candidate should have hands-on research experience and knowledge of research domains including AI, NLU, ML, and Dialog Management. They should also be very agile in developing flexible software with respect to scientific, experimentation methods and usage patterns. Additional responsibilities include:
- Leading the development and maintenance of core system features
- Helping define product features, drive the system architecture, and spearhead the best practices that enable a quality product
- Working with scientists and other engineers to investigate design approaches, prototype new technology, and evaluate technical feasibility
- Establish architectural principles, select design patterns, and mentor team members on their appropriate application
- Operate in an Agile/Scrum environment to deliver high quality software against aggressive schedules
Alexa is Amazon's new cloud-based voice service for building engaging and intelligent voice experiences for services and devices, like the groundbreaking Amazon Echo and Amazon Fire TV. Our mission is to push the envelope in Automatic Speech Recognition (ASR), Natural Language Understanding (NLU), and Audio Signal Processing, in order to provide the best-possible experience for our customers.
As a Research Manager for the Alexa team you will be responsible for leading a team of machine learning scientists in the field of automatic speech recognition (ASR) and/or natural language understanding (NLU).
The responsibilities include the strategic aspects of setting long term research directions as well as the tactical aspects of addressing customer pain points, setting priorities, and driving the design, development, and deployment of ASR and/or NLU technology. A successful candidate will have an established background in developing customer-facing experiences, a strong technical ability, excellent project management skills, great communication skills, and a motivation to achieve results in a fast paced environment. You will hire and develop your team, build customer-facing experiences, and manage your own projects.
As a member of the technical team you will be responsible for...
- Owning the strategic planning and project management for long term research projects creating value for our customers.
- Analyzing customer data and addressing customer pain points.
- Conducting and coordinating research leading to improved accuracy of Alexa's ASR and/or NLU capabilities.
- Communicating effectively with senior management as well as with colleagues from research teams, software engineering teams, and other technical and business teams.
- Managing the day-to-day activities of the research team.
- Hiring and developing researchers.
- Staying up-to-date with trends, papers, and academia.
Are you interested in building high scale databases in the cloud? Do you want to revolutionize the way people manage and query huge amounts of data?
Amazon Redshift is a fast and powerful, fully managed, petabyte-scale data warehouse service in the cloud. It enables customers to dramatically increase their query performance when analyzing virtually any size data set using the same SQL-based business intelligence tools they use today. They can launch a fully operational service with a few clicks for as low as under $1000 per terabyte per year. Amazon Redshift manages all the work needed to set up, operate, and scale a data warehouse, from provisioning capacity and installing software to monitoring and backing up the cluster, to applying patches and upgrades. By automating these labor-intensive tasks, Amazon Redshift enables customers to spend their time focusing on their data and business insights, rather than on procuring and managing infrastructure.
Joining the Amazon Redshift team gives you the opportunity to:
- Work on a disruptive product that’s still in its early stages
- Solve challenging problems that will revolutionize database computing in the cloud
- Build a product that will leverage the scale of resources available in the cloud
- Work for a company that’s a recognized leader in the cloud computing space
- Be involved in the fast growing, big data space
Desired Skills & ExperienceWe are looking for developers with expertise and passion for building large scale distributed systems. Experience with highly available/fault tolerant, transaction processing systems and operating complex services running in the cloud are all pluses.
In this role, you will have responsibility for:
- Translating functional and technical requirements into detailed architecture and design
- Coding and testing complex system components
- Participating in code and design reviews to maintain our high development standards
- Working with other teams to deliver and operate large scale, distributed services in the cloud
- Overall system architecture, scalability, reliability, and performance
- Mentoring other engineers, defining our challenging technical culture, and helping to build a fast-growing team