The Amazon Devices team designs and engineer’s customer-obsessed consumer electronics, including the best-selling Kindle, Kindle Fire Tablets, Amazon Fire TV, Amazon Dash, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
The role: Systems Engineer responsible for operational excellence around services used by our customers. Responsibilities include building tools to support, deploy and monitor applications, also building tools around the APIs supported by these applications. Must have a strong sense of ownership, be extremely reliable and have an excellent level of systems and technical knowledge backed up by hands-on experience.
* Understand how commodity servers, operating systems and networks function, perform and scale.
* Possess superb troubleshooting and problem analysis skills.
* Drive technical innovation and efficiency in infrastructure operations via automation.
* Design systems management solutions using automation and self-repair rather than relying on alarming and human intervention.
* Create processes that enhance operational workflow and provide positive customer impact.
* Dive deep to resolve problems at their root, looking for failure patterns amenable to long-term solutions via simplification and automation.
* Avoid re-inventing the wheel and prefer appropriately simple, repeatable solutions over more complex and failure prone ones.
* Act as a technical point of escalation & mentor for junior staff.
* Recognize and adopt best practices in documentation, testing, security, operational support at scale, and efficient use of resources.
* Develop appropriate metrics to demonstrate performance at improving operational efficiency.
* Bachelor’s degree
* 3+ years relevant work experience
* Experience deploying and operating Linux or other UNIX variants in a datacenter environment.
* Experience with server hardware management across multiple vendors.
* Experience in automation via shell scripting and Perl programming.
* Standard internet protocols (Ethernet, ARP, IP, ICMP, UDP, TCP, SSL, DNS, HTTP, etc.)
* Experience with security best practices in server configuration, tool development, and access controls.
* Previous experience with network automation (e.g. automated provisioning and remote configuration of switches and routers; flow-based analysis and predictive modeling of traffic in dynamic routing environments.)
* Knowledge of C, C++, Java, Python, or Ruby
* Experience deploying or managing servers in large-scale, geographically diverse environments.
* Familiarity with Sarbanes-Oxley, SAS70, and PCI audit and compliance processes.
* Experience managing large scale disk and tape sub-systems.
* Experience with capacity planning, utilization review & performance monitoring.
* Operational knowledge of common enterprise switching and routing platforms.
* Familiarity with Load Balancers and Firewalls.
Lab126 is part of the Amazon.com, Inc. group of companies and is an Equal Opportunity-Affirmative Action Employer – Minority / Women / Disability / Veteran / Gender Identity / Sexual Orientation