Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
We are looking for a highly motivated Design Technologist with a passion for using technology to solve customer problems. You are a creative systems-oriented thinker, who is happiest when solving highly ambiguous, multi-faceted problems. You will be part of a small and nimble team dedicated to conception, proving, advancing and evolving experiences through a range of prototypes and hands-on product work.
UX Design Technologists at Amazon combine UX Design and engineering expertise into a single discipline, and are able to design, develop, prototype, and test innovative UX solutions that push the envelope and inspire development teams and leaders to invest in new ideas. While you may be able to deliver code on the platform upon which the experience will ship, you know when doing so is not necessary or practical. You have developed an understanding of what to fake and what to make, and you have an ability to dive into quick and dirty hardware prototypes when called for.
You will work quickly, choosing the right technology for the task at hand, to flesh out design concepts (interaction, visual and motion). Your work will be used to demonstrate and evaluate UX concepts and be a reference for engineering partners. You will be asked to cleverly hack your way around platform limitations, tinker with concepts, think creatively, and deliver quickly, iteratively and collaboratively within a design studio environment. Responsibilities include:
- Create compelling scenarios that demonstrate key design concepts, and develop materials (prototypes, videos, docs) to flush out those scenarios
- Develop functional prototypes and/or experience videos to demonstrate concepts to development teams and senior leadership
- Proven track record quickly implementing technologies that are new to you and an appetite for learning
- Partner with software and hardware engineering to ensure that interactive techniques and technologies translate through to shipping products and services
- Advance design thinking through your knowledge of platform capabilities and limitations as you support the design team and work with partner engineering teams
- Evaluate and document any new creative and/or engineering standards or patterns that could arise from your work
- Work creatively and collaboratively, both on your own and as part of a small team
- Work alongside designers and product managers throughout all stages of the production cycle
- Work quickly without documentation or technical support