Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, Lab126 has produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Amazon Echo, and Dash Button. The Device OS team is a big part of creating these innovative devices at Lab126.
As a Principal Engineer Connectivity, you will define the network & software architectures and influence the hardware selection to create new Amazon devices. You will be involved from the concept stage of the product and required to dive deep into understanding the problem the device is trying to solve for our customer. You will be responsible for defining network & software architectures that brings the solution to the customer. You will have a strong understanding of how the overall network architecture will impact the software on the device. With this information, you will work across Lab126 to influence the hardware component selection so the software will be able to deliver on the requirements with the given hardware. In your role, you will also be called to investigate hard problems in shipping products. To do this, you will need to root cause the issue and drive a solution into products that are already in the field.
From a strategic perspective, you will be part of a senior virtual engineering team that will help drive the technical direction for the Device OS team. This will include determining what the future of TVs will be, what the long-term Internet of Things (IoT) Strategy should be, and what new solutions Amazon should bring to customers.
As a Principal Engineer you will be expected to:
· Serve as a technical lead on our most demanding, cross-functional projects.
· Ensure the quality of architecture and design of systems.
· Functionally decompose complex problems into simple, straight-forward solutions.
· Fully and completely understand system interdependencies and limitations.
· Possess expert knowledge of Connectivity (Internet, Wifi, Bluetooth, Zigbee), SoC architectures, Power Consumption and Thermal issues, GPU Core,and Multimedia.
· Effectively research and benchmark Amazon technology against other competing systems in the industry.
· Contribute intellectual property through patents.
· Assist in the career development of others, actively mentoring individuals and the community on advanced technical issues and helping managers guide the career growth of their team members.
· Ability to engage with Vendors to create the right solution for our customers, and to raise the quality bar on vendor deliverables.
· Exert influence over software teams, hardware teams, and business teams
The ideal candidate will have experience leading or contributing to multiple simultaneous product development efforts and/or IT projects and initiatives. You’ll be able to balance technical leadership and savvy with strong business judgment to make the right decisions about technology choices. You’ll strive for simplicity and demonstrate significant creativity and incisive judgment.