Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV, Fire phone, and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
Work hard. Have fun. Make history.
We are seeking a talented, self-directed Sr. Data Engineer to design, develop, implement, test, document, and operate large-scale, high-volume, high-performance data structures for our internal customers. Implement data structures using best practices in data modeling and ETL/ELT processes. Gather business and functional requirements and translate these requirements into robust, scalable, operable solutions that work well within the overall data architecture. Analyze source data systems and drive best practices in source teams. Participate in the full development life cycle, end-to-end, from design, implementation and testing, to documentation, delivery, support, and maintenance. Produce comprehensive, usable dataset documentation and metadata. Evaluate and make decisions around dataset implementations designed and proposed by peer data engineers. Evaluate and make decisions around the use of new or existing software products and tools. Mentor junior data engineers.
The ideal candidate relishes working with large volumes of data, enjoys the challenge of highly complex technical contexts, and, above all else, is passionate about data and analytics. He/she is an expert with data modeling, ETL design and business intelligence tools and passionately partners with the business to identify strategic opportunities where improvements in data infrastructure creates outsized business impact. He/she is a self-starter, comfortable with ambiguity, able to think big (while paying careful attention to detail) and enjoys working in a fast-paced team. The ideal candidate needs to possess exceptional technical expertise in large scale data warehouse and BI systems with hands-on knowledge on SQL, Distributed/MPP data storage, and AWS services (S3, Redshift, EMR, RDS).
Specifically, the Sr. Data Engineer will:
- Design, implement, and support a platform providing ad hoc access to large datasets
- Interface with other technology teams to extract, transform, and load data from a wide variety of data sources using SQL
- Implement data structures using best practices in data modeling, ETL/ELT processes, and SQL, and Redshift
- Build robust and scalable data integration (ETL) pipelines using SQL, Python and Spark
- Build and deliver high quality datasets to support business analysis and customer reporting needs
- Interface with business customers, gathering requirements and delivering complete data structures