Amazon Lab126 is an inventive research and development company that designs and engineers high-profile consumer electronics. Lab126 began in 2004 as a subsidiary of Amazon.com, Inc., originally creating the best-selling Kindle family of products. Since then, we have produced groundbreaking devices like Fire tablets, Fire TV and Amazon Echo. What will you help us create?
The OEM Business Manager is the relationship owner for the Electronics Manufacturing Services (EMS) suppliers that provide co-development resources, procure components, design, manufacture and test digital devices. In this capacity the OEM Business Manager has a dual responsibility to:
- Lead the sourcing, selection, contract negotiation and management of one or more EMS suppliers in alignment with the overarching EMS strategy and within the Integrated Management System. Ensure a competitive sourcing environment leading to continuous improvement in Engr. Services, Line Readiness, Quality, Business Management, Contract management and adherence, delivery, cost and social responsibility.
- Actively engage the Device Operations and Engineering organizations with the EMS suppliers on one or more products/product lines to achieve the programmatic objectives.
This requires that the OEM Business manager be both an advocate for the supplier within Lab126 and be their harshest critic to ensure the best possible performance. Upon success, the OEM Business Manager will instill a forward-thinking collaborative and mutually-beneficial long-term relationship with a holistic point of view, not just a product or single supplier perspective – a business owner. These high profile responsibilities require significant breadth and business acumen as the responsibilities are very diverse and impactful:
Technical - Solid understanding of the EMS supplier landscape and capabilities in addition to Digital Device technologies and manufacturing / testing methodologies.
Negotiation Skills – Able to negotiate best in class contract pricing, terms and conditions on large contracts with suppliers who are exceptionally skilled at protecting thin margins. Exercise good judgement in knowing when and how best to address issues or drive change.
Contract Management – Ensure that the suppliers execute and adhere to the contracts and renegotiate whenever possible to realize benefits from bundling work with Strategic Suppliers. This is not limited to dollars but being able to protect Amazon’s bottom line in all aspects – IP, indemnity, confidentiality, etc. as these are all crucial to how Amazon is able to have successful launches.
Financial – Responsible for managing the business relationship including contracts, pricing, terms and conditions and claims. Must be an effective negotiator.
Relationship Builder – Must have the ability to engage, influence and arbitrate both the supplier and the Lab126 stakeholder organizations at the operational and Sr. Executive levels. The circumstances are often emotional and with severe pressure and limited time. Must build strong business cases and have a strong executive presence.
The OEM Business Manager:
- Establishes and maintains executive and CEO level supplier relationships.
- Leads continuous improvement through Executive Business Reviews and Supplier Business Reviews
- Influences the Tier One sourcing strategy while obtaining buy-in from executive management.
- Possesses a deep understanding of the business needs and can proficiently translate those needs into an effective comprehensive strategy.
- Leads investigating future advanced development projects for the Tier One space, establishes and manages new relationships with complex and strategic suppliers.
- Is the go-to person to proactively escalate and resolve critical issues in cost, availability, quality, schedule, etc.